Literary Anarchy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest topics

» Jericho
by admin Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:37 pm

» I have a lot of Friends
by behind_the_mask Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:36 pm

» Wicked Games, Chapter 1
by OnyxDragon Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:34 pm

» Killswitch
by behind_the_mask Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:13 pm

» Hardboil High: Auschwitz
by behind_the_mask Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:23 am

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dinner with the Smiths

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dinner with the Smiths Empty Dinner with the Smiths Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:10 am

OnyxDragon

OnyxDragon

Dinner with the Smiths
By Mary Laird and Nathan Weaver

SUB-CATEGORY: Dark comedy, screenplay

SCENE
BLACK AND WHITE.

FADE UP FROM BLACK.

EXT. A MODEST, CLEAN, NICE HOUSE—EVENING. Nice nostalgic, soft music. CUT. This is the home of the SMITHS [Jeff, Margret and little Tommy].

INT. SMITH’S HOUSE, DINNING ROOM. The family is gathered around the table, except MARGRET she enters from the kitchen with the main course and puts it on the table. JEFF puts his paper in the fourth and empty chair. They all sit and prepare to eat.

JEFF
How was your day, Margret?

MARGRET
Wonderful, Jeff, thank you. I washed five loads of laundry, pressed your suit for tomorrow, trimmed all the bushes and trees in the lawn and I even had time to reorganize our drawers. I’ve also decided to start folding your T-shirts in five folds instead of three.

JEFF
What about you, Tommy? How was your day at school?

TOMMY
Pretty neat-o, Pop. We learned about biology today.

JEFF
Really, son, Biology? What did they have to say about evolution?

TOMMY
Mrs. Smith was real good about it, Pop. She made evolution sound really stupid. It was pretty funny.

JEFF
That’s good; I’ll have to pay her a compliment come parent-teacher conference night.

TOMMY
Pop, can I have Ralphie over for a little bit after dinner?

JEFF
Have you finished your homework for the night?

TOMMY
Sure, Pop.

JEFF
What do you think, Margaret? Has he been a help around the house this afternoon?

MARGARET
He sure has, honey. He did all his chores.

JEFF
Well, alright then. I can see no reason why not, son. But he needs to leave well before your bedtime.

TOMMY
No problem, Pop.

JEFF
That’s my son. Now eat up.

TOMMY
Yes, sir.

CROSS-DISSOLVE to TOMMY’S BEDROOM.

TOMMY is playing with RALPHIE. They are wearing army helmets and have toy guns (preferably made of wood).

TOMMY
What do you think, Sergeant Ralphie? Do we surround the enemy and flank them, or do we wait for reinforcements?

RALPHIE
Permission to speak freely, sir?

TOMMY
Permission granted.

RALPHIE
Why do you always get to be the captain?

TOMMY
I’m not always the captain, sergeant. Just when we’re on my home turf, and you’re captain when we’re on your home turf.

RALPHIE
Yeah, but we’re never on my home turf—we’re always on your home turf.

TOMMY
We cannot pick and choose our battles, Sergeant Ralphie. Our battles choose us.

RALPHIE
(bummed out) Yeah, I guess.

Slight pause; TOMMY looks about, surveying the battlefield.

RALPHIE
Permission to speak freely, again, sir?

TOMMY
Permission granted.

RALPHIE
I heard you’ve been digging Sally Raney.

TOMMY
Who told you that?

RALPHIE
Is it true?

TOMMY
Come on, I’m serious, who told you that?

RALPHIE
Oh, you like Sally Raney! (sings) Tommy and Sally sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love, then comes marriage—

TOMMY
Stop it, Ralphie!

RALPHIE
… then comes baby in a baby carriage! (speaks) Tommy Sanderson likes Sally Raney! Ha-ha!

TOMMY
I’m serious, Ralphie. Stop it.

RALPHIE
I’m telling everyone!

CUT to LIVING ROOM, JEFF and MARGARET are sitting in silence. JEFF is reading a book and MARGARET is crocheting a blanket. Maybe some classical music plays softly. We hear a loud thud from upstairs. JEFF and MARGARET look up towards the roof inquisitively.

JEFF
Peculiar.

THEY BOTH go back to their perspective hobbies. Another loud thud is heard and they both look up again, then to each other. They sigh in some unspoken understanding of the situation. MARGARET puts her blanket down, JEFF places his book down.

JEFF
That’s unfortunate.

THEY rise and make their way through the house and up the stairs. ENTERING TOMMY’S BEDROOM they discover a horrific site. RALPHIE has been bludgeoned to death by TOMMY in a fit of rage. He beat him to death with his wooden gun. TOMMY looks to his parents.

TOMMY
Um, I did a bad thing, Pop.

JEFF
Tommy, you killed Ralphie.

MARGARET
Now, Tommy, you know that’s not right.

TOMMY
Yeah, he was being a poop.

JEFF
Excuse me, Thomas Jefferson Smith?

TOMMY
Sorry, Pop, I know I’m not supposed to say poop.

JEFF
(sighs) Well—I guess we should get rid of the body.

MARGARET
Honey!

JEFF
No son of mine is going to prison. The Smiths have always been good, outstanding people. We have our name to think of, Margaret. We have to save face. Tommy, go get your duffle bag.

TOMMY
But Pop, I don’t want to get—

JEFF
Thomas Jefferson—these are the consequences.

TOMMY
Yes, Pop.

CROSS-DISSOLVE to EXT. of HOUSE.

CROSS-DISSOLVE into TOMMY’S BEDROOM. The family stands around the stuffed duffle bag.

JEFF
Alright, I guess now we just need to bury him in the backyard and this is all over.

JEFF goes to reach for the duffle bag; suddenly RALPHIE starts moaning and squirming. In haste, JEFF grabs TOMMY’S baseball bat leaning against the dresser—JEFF quickly pounds the duffle bag until RALPHIE is silent and motionless. JEFF breathes heavily, and then sighs.

JEFF
Son, if you’re going to kill your friends—finish the job.

CROSS-DISSOLVE.

EXT. SMITH’S HOME, NIGHT—BACKYARD. JEFF is digging a hole with TOMMY. MARGARET watches from an upstairs window. CROSS-DISSOLVE.

INT. PARENTS BEDROOM, LATER THAT NIGHT. JEFF and MARGARET sleep in their own twin-size beds. They are both awake.

JEFF
Honey, are you awake?

MARGARET
Yes, dear.

JEFF
I kinda liked it.

SLIGHT PAUSE.

MARGARET
Me too, dear.

JEFF rolls over in bed.

JEFF
Good night.

MARGARET
Good night.

FADE TO BLACK.

MORE COMING...

Last edited by OnyxDragon on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total

https://www.youtube.com/onyxdragonlair

2Dinner with the Smiths Empty Re: Dinner with the Smiths Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:21 am

Zombie Punk

Zombie Punk
Admin

I liked it, but then again I didn't. Some lines were funny, such as "if you're gonna kill your friends, finish the job". But it seemed kind of drawn out in a way. I liked the ending. It leaves it open for a whole feature length film about a murderous family, (kind of like that movie Otis). I'd like to continue reading, that's for sure.

3Dinner with the Smiths Empty Re: Dinner with the Smiths Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:32 am

OnyxDragon

OnyxDragon

Max, you must of missed the huge "MORE COMING..." Shocked

Yeah, it is a full-length screenplay. This is just a beginning and it's not completely set in stone what you see here either, because this is mainly some stuff I've written. Mary and I will need to polish it together and get all the details worked out.

4Dinner with the Smiths Empty Re: Dinner with the Smiths Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:35 am

Zombie Punk

Zombie Punk
Admin

Nope, did not miss it. That's why I said I'd like to continue reading...

5Dinner with the Smiths Empty Re: Dinner with the Smiths Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:37 am

OnyxDragon

OnyxDragon

So what you're saying is, I'm the silly one? Understandable. I read you wrong. Very Happy

6Dinner with the Smiths Empty Re: Dinner with the Smiths Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:02 pm

brandon_scott

brandon_scott

I liked it, and I too am looking forward to what comes next. I always enjoy dark humor. You combine the dark humor with some absurdity, and the result is a pretty darn good script. Keep it up.

7Dinner with the Smiths Empty Re: Dinner with the Smiths Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:38 am

Jipper

Jipper

I really liked the part about More Coming. Not being set in stone is a major plus. Laughing This is my first ever script read and I must say, it was similar to reading a story except for the extra scroll-wheel workout. I cant check back right away though because I'm watching a chic-flic(linsay lohan)and I like to watch it in slo-mo. Good news is they just called and my tree is totally deconked. What a Face

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum