Literary Anarchy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest topics

» Jericho
by admin Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:37 pm

» I have a lot of Friends
by behind_the_mask Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:36 pm

» Wicked Games, Chapter 1
by OnyxDragon Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:34 pm

» Killswitch
by behind_the_mask Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:13 pm

» Hardboil High: Auschwitz
by behind_the_mask Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:23 am

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Awakening, Pt. 2

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Awakening, Pt. 2 Empty The Awakening, Pt. 2 Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:55 pm

littlelottie88

littlelottie88

(This would be the second part of my story,the first part being lost on SV unless they decide to bring it back up . . . I know my fault! Sad, nonetheless. I don't think the second part is too hard to understand without the first.)

The saying goes, “Good things come to those who wait.” And wait Millie did. She’d had no real expectations for the day, but as the last bell rang she couldn’t help but think that she had gotten the short end of the stick somehow. Not that anyone had been cruel to her; she simply found that most students were too wrapped up in the friendships that were formed through years of band camp or cheerleading. She stepped cautiously out into the muggy afternoon, happy that clouds were starting to roll in, ushering in a slightly cooler breeze that softened her features. Her dad always warned her about knitting her brow so much that she would end up looking way beyond her years. In her mind, she really couldn’t avoid it; the sun’s rays, glorious to any other viewer, blinded her more than they helped in shedding light. She always felt like she was being examined. The clouds sheltered her, she thought, from the prying eyes of others. Venturing towards home, she breathed a sigh of relief as the school disappeared from her sight. The relief was short-lived, however, for she remembered once again that this wasn’t really home. After what happened, no place would every really feel like home again.

Millie remembered far too much. Ironically, there were numerous pieces of this puzzle that didn’t quite fit or seemingly went missing without a trace. Moms went missing all the time; Millie was sure of that. The lush greenery around her seemed to swallow her, echoing the loneliness and confusion she harbored. No one had been able to solve the mystery of her mother’s disappearance. The police immediately alleged her father a suspect, claiming that it was a just a formality. The scandal was plastered over the face of the local newspaper. They had eventually failed to discover any signs of foul play; maybe she had run off with a lover or had been kidnapped and murdered. The embarrassment never wore off, though. Of course, none of her things were missing. Her purse lay on the nightstand and the contents of her dresser drawers were undisturbed. Millie’s pace quickened as she could feel the anger rise in her. The two-story, brick house loomed before her, guarded by white pillars as massive as an elephant’s legs. She ground her teeth, unsure if what she felt was hate or betrayal. She could forgive her mother for the inevitability of death, but not if her disappearance were the result of a lack of loyalty. So she chose to think the former was her mother’s fate because death was not in her control. As she stepped into the shade of the mansion, Millie knew there was one thing she could be sure of: the emptiness she felt existed long before her mother’s departure.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum